Monday, February 8, 2010

Ann's Famous Broccoli Salad

Submitted by Sister Twelves

1 lb broccoli, chopped. (you can blanch if you like a brighter green color; I don't always bother)
1 lb bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
1/2 red onion, finely chopped (Walla Walla onions in season are great, too!)
1/2 c roasted sunflower seeds (I have substituted chopped peanuts, toasted pecans, or cashews with excellent results; my family's favorite is honey roasted peanuts)
1/2 c raisins (golden is preferred and I usually double; substitute craisins or dried cherries for something deliciously different as well)
1 red or yellow pepper, chopped


Dressing:

1 c good mayonnaise
4 Tbsp red-wine vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar

Note: I have also used 1 c of a commercial cole slaw dressing as a substitute for the dressing (Lighthouse makes a wonderful one)

Mix well and pour over salad ingredients.  Toss to coat evenly.  Best if sits in refrigerator a few hours to blend flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment